I was recently looking over my 20 Before 20 blog post, a list of things that I wanted to accomplish before I turned 20 last February. Whether it was priority changes or a lack of opportunity, I only accomplished a few of my goals. As the start of a new year is always an excellent time for reflection, I’ve decided to revisit some of the things that I actually did do. So here you go.
2. I received straight As.
3. I saw Maroon 5, Ed Sheeran, Josh Groban and One Direction perform live. I also saw George Watsky for the fourth time!
4. I travelled to Madrid, Paris and London for two weeks in June!
5. I worked with Thrive DC, a non-profit that provides meals to people suffering from socioeconomic distress, during my summer break on another Alternative Break. This was my third service trip with my college, which you can learn about here.
6. I interned in Washington D.C. during the summer with the Center for American Progress.
7. I heard two of my personal heroes – Vice President Joe Biden and Senator Tammy Baldwin – speak while in D.C.
8. Sportz!!! I attended two professional sporting events: a Washington Nationals baseball game and a Dallas Maverick’s basketball game! This may not seem like a big deal to the Average Joe, but I’m not a very sporty person, so the magnitude of this event is unparalleled in my previous 19 years of existence.
9. I stood on the front steps of the Supreme Court when DOMA was struck down. Read about it here!
10. I joined the Student Senate and wrote an awesome resolution that encourages the university to support same-sex partner benefits for staff and faculty members.
11. I dressed up as a pineapple for Halloween.
12. The website that I was the editor of for an entire year won a huge national award called the Pacemaker! It’s really cool and I’m super proud of everyone who contributed to it.
13. I visited Chicago for the second time in late September with my family, where we explored the city, found some creepy silver men (pictured) and attended my aunt’s wedding.
14. I began interning for Paul Davis, a democratic candidate for governor in my state.
15. I met John Green!
16. I attended the Yule Ball. Well, the scholarship hall community’s version of the Yule Ball, which was awesome.
17. I visited meerkats at both the Kansas City and Washington D.C. zoos. Meerkats around the country have now been blessed with the presence of their queen.
18. I participated in the Project for Awesome for the third consecutive year and talked about 826 Chicago, the non-profit that I visited over Spring Break!
19. I travelled to Fort Worth to celebrate the New Year with my roommate, Chloe. Despite somehow breaking her hot tub, we had a fantastic time exploring the stock yards and line dancing at the world’s largest honky tonk!
20. And finally, I hung out a whole bunch with the love of my life: my dog.